Welcome to our Words on the World

Why did I set up Meanwhile, on Another Part of the Planet?

One of the first books I co-edited, published almost twenty years ago, was a literary anthology called AWOL: Tales for Travel-Inspired Minds

Since then I've written four travel memoirs, been a commissioning editor of travel books, edited countless travel narratives and helped many find publishers as an agent.

Needless to say, I love travel writing and books that inspire my sense of adventure, but not only that. I also love non-fiction and fiction that's very rooted in a particular place. I love books that increase my understanding of the world. 

I set up this site in 2020 when many people were unable to travel. Because we can always travel and dream through books.

How does it work?

The site is a place for finding books and for sharing them, particularly books that are independently published. It's a community site, curated by me, so I keep it as simple as possible. 

You can scroll down to read posts, or search the site by country or by mode of transport.

I invite all kinds of authors to contribute for free, on one condition: share the post with your network. The idea is that your network may then browse the site and find other books they like. So each time the site is shared, your book has another chance of getting noticed.

If you have any suggestions about how we can make the site work better, please let me know. 

How can you be featured? 

First sign up to the site, then contact me. I will need:

- an excerpt from the book, approx. 500-1000 words, that gives a sense of place

- up to three related attention-grabbing hi-res photos (including at least one that is landscape orientation rather than portrait)

- a jpg of the cover

a link to somewhere readers can buy the book

When your post is published, share it.

Find another post you like on the site, and share that too.

What if your book has gone out of print?

Another Part of the Planet is also an imprint for self-published books.

If you have an old book that has gone out of print and you’d like to get it online and selling again, I work with other freelancers to provide services you may need – formatting for e-book, proofreading, cover design.

When the book is re-published, you will be welcome to promote it through the site. 

What if your book is not yet in print?

Please refer to www.jenniferbarclaybooks.com and feel free to contact me about editorial services. 


Popular posts from this blog

Biking Solo in Hvar - Katherine Leamy

Nights in deserted places of the Dodecanese